* The Curry County Sheriff’s Office is warning of a telephone scam where callers claim that somebody has missed jury duty and that a warrant for arrest has been issued. The fake “officer” says that the fine must be paid at once via card. Sheriff John Ward called the scam artists “low-life, bottom-feeding scum” and urged everyone to report such calls to law enforcement at once.
* College of the Redwoods-Del Norte is offering a wildland fire school March 13-17 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Taught by Captain Jon Maxwell, students will receive various certificates and receive the training needed to apply for federal government firefighting jobs. For more information, go to the college of the redwoods website.
* The annual Brookings-Harbor High Booster Club dinner and auction will be held Saturday at the Brookings Elks Lodge, with doors opening at 5 and food served at 7 p.m. Tickets are $50 per person and are available at the school’s athletic office, or at Banana Belt Reality on Pacific Avenue.
* First Five Del Norte is planning on expanding its “Little Free Libraries” program from the current five in the Klamath, Crescent City and Smith River to 15 in the next few months. The program is one of many being used to expand early literacy in the area. Other programs include a texting service for parents of young children, and a book-giving effort for new parents in coordination with Sutter Coast Hospital. Those who would like to know more, or to volunteer, should contact First Five.
In sports news:
* Brookings-Harbor High’s girls basketball team travels to Gladstone tonight at 6 o’clock in a O-S-A-A Class 4-A play-in game. Two Bruin wrestlers — Tanner Wyatt and Alonzo Nalls — are are also in the Portland area, competing this today and Saturday at the Class 4 championships at Memorial Coliseum.
* Del Norte’s game with Saturday game at Cardinal Newman High in the second round of the N-C-S Division 4 girls basketball championships has been changed to 7 p.m. The Warriors won Wednesday, and claimed the right to take on the top-seeded team in Santa Rosa. Catch the action on KPOD 97.9 with the pregame show at 6:50 p.m.